This past week began with The Big Kahuna and I receiving news that one of YaYu’s Mandarin Immersion classmates died suddenly last Sunday, apparently from an unknown heart condition that tragically manifested itself when the family was out shopping. We were asked not to let YaYu know as the school wanted to inform all the students in the class at the same time, so had to carry that sad news until the class was told this past Thursday. The entire class was devastated when they received the news of their classmate’s death; he had been one of their group since kindergarten, and was planning on traveling to China with them this coming spring. For many of them, YaYu included, it was also their first experience with the death of someone close. YaYu has been particularly upset by what she calls the “randomness” of his death, so we have spent much time with her listening and helping her to grieve. She and TBK attended the memorial service this morning, and she spent the remainder of the day with her classmates as they continue to come to terms with the sudden loss of their classmate.
There were positives this past week as well: I got some substitute work in; we rocked using up leftovers; TBK’s bonus was more than expected and we got ready for Christmas. But overall it has been a very somber week.
This evening I am:
- Reading: Still working through Hawaii. It’s going to take a while.
- Listening to: Christmas carols, and the last load of laundry in the dryer.
- Watching: We watched Slumdog Millionaire yesterday evening, and tonight we’re going to watch Argo, a true-story thriller about the 1979 Iranian hostage situation. The girls had never seen Slumdog, and absolutely loved it.
- Cooking/baking: I made a coconut layer cake earlier today; TBK made a barbecue chicken pizza for our dinner tonight.
- Happy I accomplished this week: Getting the Christmas tree up and decorated and moving around some furniture for re-staging the house. We also packed up a few things for the move, and also got another couple of bags of stuff together to go to Goodwill next week.
- Looking forward to next week: Dim sum lunch with a good friend on Monday, coffee and pastry with TBK on Tuesday while we plan our Christmas shopping, meeting with the painting contractor about the interior painting, and (hopefully) warmer weather – it’s been bitterly cold here the past several days. I also am looking forward to finally beginning our Christmas shopping!
- Thankful for: The incredible school community my children are a part of. TBK said the turnout at the memorial from the school community was beyond impressive. Every teacher YaYu’s class has had from kindergarten on was there, both the current and former principals and vice-principals attended, and all the students from her immersion class were also there even though the service was held outdoors in temperatures that never reached 20°.
- Bonus question: What is your favorite Christmas carol? All of them! I love them all and I’m that nutty lady you see in stores that can’t help singing along. OK, I really don’t care for “The Little Drummer Boy” but I put up with it for everyone else’s sake.
Many thanks as always to Carla for hosting Sunday Night Chit Chat!